EVENTS & DEADLINES
8th to 9th Transition, 2018-2019January 2019
Dear Parents/Guardians of 8th Graders:
8th Grade students will soon begin the Conestoga Course Selection process for Grade 9. Listed below are the activities planned for students and parents to introduce and explain the course selection process.
Events Already Completed
- Tuesday, December 4 – The Technical Collegiue High School – Pickering (TCHS) will present to the 8th grade class about their career and technical programs.
- Tuesday, December 11 – Interested VFMS students are provided the opportunity to visit and tour The Technical College High School – Pickering (TCHS)
- Wednesday, January 23 - The VFMS Music Department will take our 8th grade musicians to CHS (11:15am to 12:45pm) for a ‘Meet & Greet’: introduction to Conestoga’s musical programs and ensembles, meet the Music teachers, and a Q&A with current CHS Music students.
- Tuesday, January 29 - Ms. Neary will meet with 8th graders in the Audion during their Advisory Initiative period to discuss the upcoming Conestoga Course Selection Process. Students will receive the Conestoga Program of Studies booklet in homeroom that morning.
- Thursday, January 31 (7:00pm) – Course Selection Night for 8th grade parents in Conestoga’s Auditorium. CHS Counselors and department chairpersons will be giving presentations to parents regarding curriculum and credit requirements. **Parents should bring their child’s Program of Studies booklet. The Program of Studies booklets will be distributed to students in school on January 29th.
- Wednesday, February 6 (8:00am) - 8th Grade Parent-CHS Counselor 'Coffee': CHS counselors visit with 8th grade parents for a informal presentation and Q&A session about transition to CHS - and all related events and deadlines. Location: VFMS Cafeteria
- Friday, February 8 - CHS counselors visit VFMS 8th graders and give out course selection cards. CHS counselors will go over, in detail, the Conestoga course selection process. **Students should have their Program of Studies booklet with them.
- Tueday, February 12 - Conestoga Special Areas and Core Class Department Chairs visit VFMS and make presentations to our students regarding course offerings, credit requirements, and other curricular information.
- Special Areas: 8:00am - 8:45am (1st period)
- Core: 12:10pm - 1:44pm (6th & 7th periods)
- **Students should have their Program of Studies booklet with them.
- Monday to Friday, February 11-22 - 8th grade core teachers will make recommendations on students’ course selection cards
- Friday, February 22nd - Completed course selection cards are due back to Ms. Neary.
- Tuesday, February 26 - VFMS visits CHS to see the CHS musical, Pippin
- Wednesday, May 29 – Move-Up Day at CHS
- 8th graders spend the morning at CHS for a tour of the school. Highlights include a tour of the Library, Phys. Ed. activities, Science lab experiments, a snack in the Cafeteria, attendance at the CHS Club Fair, and Q&A with a Student Panel of 9th grade students about the CHS experience.
I will be available throughout this entire process for individual student and/or parent conferences. I look forward to working with your 8th graders during this exciting time. Please call (610-240-1317) or email me (NearyK@tesd.net) if you have any questions.
Ms. Neary, 8th Grade School Counselor