College Application Checklist
- Complete your Junior Questionnaire if you have not done so already.
- In Naviance, add your colleges under the Colleges I’m Applying To
- Make an appointment with your counselor based on your earliest application deadline.
- Early applications (rolling admissions or Oct/Nov deadlines)- see your counselor no later than October 1st to make your appointment.
- Regular Decision applications (Dec/Jan/Feb deadlines)- make your appointment prior to November 15th.
- Teacher recommendations:
- Check in with the teachers who agreed to write for you and ensure they know your EARLIEST deadline.
- Request your recommendation letters in Naviance under Colleges I’m Applying Toà Letters of recommendation Select the teacher name from the dropdown menu, and click “All current and future colleges.”
- DO NOT request any recommendations on Common App—request via Naviance ONLY.
- Common Application:
- Create a Common Application account at commonapp.org
- Add colleges to your list and begin to work through the Common Application.
- Pay special attention to additional supplements/writing requirements individual colleges may have as part of their application process.
- Information you will need: - Counselor Title- “School Counselor”
- Size of Senior Class – 543
- Contact information for your counselor – name and email address
- Weighted GPA Scale – use 5.0
- Rank – we are a non-ranking school
- Course scheduling system - semester
- Match your Naviance and Common Application Accounts:
- Once you have completed the Education Section of your Common App, please click on “Recommenders and FERPA” on the left side of the screen. Complete ONLY the FERPA section (do not request recommendations), and waive your rights.
- Once your Common App FERPA Waiver is signed, log in to Naviance and go to your Colleges I’m Applying To screen. Click “Match Accounts” and read the information on the next screen. Enter your Common App email address, confirm your birthdate is correct and click “Match Accounts.”
- Note: the matching process is required for counselors to send school documents to Common App schools.
REQUESTING TRANSCRIPTS FOR COLLEGE APPLICATIONS:
**Your individual counselor meeting must occur PRIOR to a transcript request.**
- Request your transcript to be sent to colleges TWO WEEKS prior to your application deadlines:
- On the Colleges I’m Applying To page, click “Request Transcript.”
- Click “Initial.”
- Check boxes of which schools you need to submit a transcript to at that time.
- Click “Request and Finish.”
- Verify the request was submitted under “Transcripts” on college list (it should say “requested”).
- **YOU MUST FOLLOW THE TRANSCRIPT REQUEST PROCESS EACH TIME YOU NEED A TRANSCRIPT/SCHOOL DOCS SUBMITTED TO A COLLEGE ON YOUR BEHALF.
- Send all SAT/ACT, etc. test scores you want considered with your application. Counselors DO NOT send test scores.
- Submit college applications whenever they are ready. The student portion can and usually is submitted prior to the counselor/school portion.
- Check email and Schoology blasts regularly for important information from counselors.
- Collegebound student athletes- ensure you register with the NCAA Eligibility Center.
- Complete/submit the FAFSA at fafsa.gov and other required institutional financial aid forms beginning Oct 1st.
Please let us know if you have questions. We are here to help!