Updated CCHD Guidelines - Mask Wearing Outdoors
May 12, 2021
Dear T/E Families,
I am writing today to share information about updated guidance from the Chester County Health Department and upcoming student vaccine opportunities.
On May 6, the Chester County Health Department (CCHD) released updated guidance regarding mask wearing when outdoors. The new guidance states, “any staff or student engaging in high exertion outdoor activities, including but not limited to, athletics, exercise or play activities, is not required to wear masks when actively engaged in those activities.” Click here for the full CCHD update. As a result of this new guidance, TESD is altering its protocol for mask wearing when outdoors effective on Friday, May 14, 2021.
Outdoor Recess, Outdoor Activity Periods, and Outdoor PE Classes
- Students do not need to wear masks during outdoor recess or outdoor activity periods.
- Students need to wear masks while traveling to and from recess.
- Adults will continue to wear masks unless they are engaged in high exertion activities.
- Student athletes need to wear masks before and after practice, and when on the sidelines.
- Masks are optional for student athletes during competition and practice, and when engaged in exertion.
- Coaches need to wear masks unless engaged in strenuous activity.
- Spectators who are fully vaccinated are not required to wear masks at outdoor athletic competitions when socially distanced.
Students and staff may keep their masks on during outdoor activities if they choose to do so. The District is still encouraging students to maintain physical distance during outdoor activities.
Student Vaccine Update
TESD is continuing to work with Springfield Pharmacy to host a voluntary student COVID-19 vaccine clinic later this month for TESD students aged 12 and over. We anticipate being able to share more details about this opportunity by the end of the week. In addition to the clinic offered by Springfield Pharmacy, the District has learned that Chester County Hospital plans to begin vaccinating individuals 12 years of age and older beginning Friday, May 14. Chester County Hospital has created a survey that will provide families with a link to schedule their own vaccination appointments. Click here to access the Chester County Hospital survey. You may also visit the vaccine information page on the TESD website for links to local vaccination sites. If you have any questions about the COVID-19 vaccine, please consult your child’s health care provider.
The District is closely monitoring state guidelines regarding pandemic mitigation orders for June 1 and beyond. We will share additional information as it becomes available. Thank you for your ongoing support of our health and safety practices.
Dr. Chris Groppe
TESD Pandemic Coordinator