• Post-Secondary Transition Resources


     *Click here for T/E's Post-Secondary Transition Presentation for families!

    Welcome to our page regarding Secondary Transition!  The information contained here is of a general nature and most will take you to non-T/ESD sites.   If you have specific questions please contact your student's case manager or school counselor.   Eligibility for services is an IEP team determination. 

    What is Secondary Transition?

    Secondary transition is the process of preparing students for adult life, after the student exits school age services.  Students may be eligible for school-age services through age 21.  The transition planning process can be considered a bridge between school programs and adult life.  Transition planning for students with IEPs must occur during the year in which the student turns 14.  

    The transition planning process can encompass three areas to prepare students for:

    1. Higher education or training
    2. Employment
    3. Independent living 

    Planning for the Future Checklist

    The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) has developed a “Planning for the Future Checklist” that can assist in this process.  The Checklist is of a general nature; it is not intended that all boxes are checked, as the path you take is individualized.  Students and families should discuss with their case manager any questions that may arise.

    A link to the PaTTAN site for the Planning for the Future Checklist is here. 

    General Resources

    This site "provides youth, young adults, parents, and professionals with secondary transition resources to facilitate a young person’s progress towards post-secondary goals related to education, employment, and community living".  It is updated frequently by the state and a great place to start in understanding secondary transition. 
    Webinar series throughout the school year offered by PaTTAN
    Topics include:  Financial considerations, Social Security Administration, Waivers, Insurance, labor laws and employment, transition councils, youth leadership, and assistive technology.  Download the document here.   
    A checklist for students to use from ages 14 and above.  Some items are IEP team discussions.  
    This link takes you to the Conestoga High School's Student Services page.  Click on the link for Post-High School planning information for 10th, 11th and 12th graders.  The CHS Student Services page also has information about Naviance, financial aid, scholarships, and other planning tools.  
    Wide variety of parent resources.  
     PaTTAN is the Pennsylvania Training and Technical Assistance Network, supported by PDE.
    An initiative of Allegheny County United Way.  Some items are specific to Western Pennsylvania, but there are other good general resources.  

    Agency Information 

    There are several agencies that can assist in the planning process; some may be able to assist you and your student after they graduate and leave school-age services.  If you and your student are working with an agency, please let your student's case manager know so we may include them in meetings. 

    Students close to reaching the end of their school age services may be eligible.  OVR provides support for individuals with disabilities in obtaining employment.  From their website:  "The Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, or OVR, provides vocational rehabilitation services to help persons with disabilities prepare for, obtain, or maintain employment."   If your student is connected with OVR and has a caseworker please let us know so we may invite them to IEP meetings.  

    Students identified with an Intellectual Disability should contact the office of MH/IDD to conduct an intake to determine eligibility for services.  These services can help your student access resources after they exit school-age services.  If your student is registered with MH/IDD and has a caseworker, please let us know so we may invite them to IEP meetings. 

    Post-Secondary Education or Training resources  

     This page contains information about applying for accommodations for the SAT.  Staff at Conestoga High School can assist families in applying for accommodations, contact your student's school counselor.  Approved accommodations are typically valid for the student's high school career.  College Board makes the determination as to student eligibility for accommodations. 
    This page contains information about applying for accommodations for the ACT.  You must apply for accommodations when close to the testing window.  Contact your student's school counselor for more information. ACT makes the determination as to student eligibility for accommodations.  
    The CCIU and West Chester University partner to prepare students on the autism spectrum for post-high school education by offering programming on West Chester's campus.  CCIU staff presented to parents in spring 2015 on this topic; the slideshow is available at the link above.  Eligibility is an IEP team decision.  Consult with your student's case manager for more information.  
    From www,collegeautismspectrum.com  
    Resources about programs available at two- and four-year colleges for students with Autism Spectrum Disorders.   Should not be considered a complete list.