Conestoga PreSchool Director: Ms. Kirby PohlidalFamily and Consumer Sciences DepartmentFamily and Consumer Sciences Mission
The mission of Conestoga's Family and Consumer Sciences program is to prepare students for family life, work life, and careers in family and consumer sciences by providing opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors needed for:
- strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span;
- becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, community, and work settings;
- promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span;
- managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families;
- balancing personal, home, family, and work lives;
- using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse family, community, and work environments;
- successful life management, employment, and career development;
- functioning effectively as providers and consumers of goods and services; and,
- appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one"s actions and success in family and work life.
Changes in Family and Consumer Sciences
The name "Family and Consumer Sciences" and the acronym "FCS" is used to describe Conestoga High School’s program and curriculum that includes:
- a student-centered curriculum with a focus on practical problem solving skills in real-life applications;
teaching strategies, including critical thinking, and learning environments designed to meet developmental needs of students;
- activities that carry into family, workplace, and community settings; and
activities that aid students in planning for school to work transitions.
Family and Consumer Sciences Curriculum Rationale
The success of all students includes acquisition of problem-solving, decision-making, higher order thinking, communication, literacy, and numerical skills in applied contexts. Today's students are the future members and leaders of tomorrow"s families, workplaces, and communities.Conestoga High School’s Family and Consumer Sciences curriculum provides the bridges needed by students to deal with societal issues such as work-and-family, health care, child and elder care, global economics, and technology usage. The Conestoga High School Family and Consumer Sciences program provides a platform for students to move into a new era by gaining a strong foundation of the knowledge and skills needed for successfully living and working in a global society.